Wednesday, May 30, 2012

First post! Seriously, every blog needs a first post. One hopes for some sort of statement of pupose, a summary of what the blog is about. So:

This blog will be about what I like in the arts, primarily in the Dsllas-Fort Worth area. I make no pretense to a critical evaluation of what I see; my qualifications are best described as an enthusiastic amateur. I will talk about what I like, and what I think might be interesting to others. I will start this out by talking about some of my favorite places.

The Dallas Museum of Art. I get here three or four times a month. If you didn't see the Youth and Beauty: Art of the American Twenties exhibit, you missed something quite special. It closed last Sunday. They just opened a new exhibit of the work og George Grosz, which is quite interesting. There is a lot of Dallas history, as well as some political work by a German artist who emigrated to the United States to flee the Nazis.

The Nasher Sculpture Center - an architecturally beautiful small museum across the street from the DMA. The garden is an exceptional space in the midst of an urban landscape. Unfortunately, some condo developers have chosen to build adjacent to it, a mirrored building which concentrates sunlight in a fairly unpleasant way, and has spoiled one of my favorite things in the garden, Tending, (Blue) by James Turrell It is closed until the artist decides how to reconfigure it to account for the condo tower. The Nasher is a wonderful building, and small enough to see in an afternoon. The cafe is also excellent, and they hace a very good events calendar. The current featured exhibit is Cuddle on the Tightrope, by Ernesto Neto. It consists of a single work, Kink, which fills one of the gallery spaces. It is a sort of crocheted suspension bridge on an aluminum frame. I was fortunate enough to be able to get to the artist conversatino event with Mr. Neto. Fascinating to hear about his creative process, straight from the artist, and to get his perspective on the exhibit. Take a walk through it - it is fun, if nothing else. The preceding exhibit, The Bacchae by Elliot Hundley, was a quite remarkable combination of sculpture, collage, and assemblage. The Nasher did acquire one of my favorite pieces from it, Alas!, and I look forward to seeing it again. The Nasher also has an exceptional museum store.

The Kimbell Art Museum in Fort Worth is one of the best small museums around. Their collection is exceptional (though I wish that they would put their Turner out), and the museum can also bee seen in an afternoon. Perhaps a long afternoon, depending on the major temporary exhibit. Currently, that is The Age of Impressionism: Great French Paintings from the Clark, through June 17th. This is the only United States stop for an exhibit of historical scope. See it - no exceptions.

While you are in Fort Worth to see the Impressionist exhibit at the Kimbell, by all means stop at the Amon Carter Museum of American Art to see the four Jonh Singer Sargent paintings from the Clark that they have through June 17th. Fumée d'Ambre Gris is one of the most beautiful works that I have ever seen.

And then there is the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth. Worth seeing just for the building, but the collection is also excellent. I am working hard on my appreciation of modern art, and The Modern is a big reason. Aschenblume, by Anselm Kiefer, is a striking and important work, and one of my favorites. Café Modern is the best museum restaurant that I have experienced; the food is exceptional. And the museum store is on a par with that of the Nasher, which is saying something. The current major exhibit is by Glenn Ligon. It is a powerful poitical statement, and well worth seeing.

The McKinney Avenue Contemporary is a good small museum, particularly for emerging artists. Their member show is coming up in August - not to be missed.

The Kitchen Dog Theater shares the MAC's space. They do a great job with new works, and a fresh look at more traditional plays. I'm a season subscriber. Highly recommended. The current play is Ruth, a contemporary take on the Biblicl tale. I have not seen it yet, but I have heard good things.

Another very good local theater is the Undermain Theatre. They do a very good job with important modern works such as Beckett and their current production, Harold Pinter's The Birthday Party. Be prepared for some unconventional work, even odd, but the productions are always very well done. The theater really is under Main Street - a basement in Deep Ellum. I try to get ot all of their plays. I will be seeing The Birthday Party on Friday.

To bring this to a close, I will be seeing the DTC (Dallas Theater Center) prodcution of God of Carnage at the Kalita Humphreys Theater tomorrow night (Thursday). I have heard good things about the play, and I love the building itself - a Frank Lloyd Wright design. If I'm serious about this blog, you will be able to read my reactions to it on Friday. Or maybe Saturday.

See something beautiful today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home