Sunday, June 3, 2012

Frankenstein is coming...

...to the Angelika.  The National Theatre Live program is reprising its broadcast of the play Frankenstein which they did last year.  The play was a hug hit in London, playing to packed houses.  It will be shown again at the Angelika on June 7th (Thursday) at 7pm with Jonny Lee Miller as Frankenstein and Benedict Cumberbatch as the Creature, and on June 9th at 2pm with those roles reversed.

This play is quite true to the original Mary Shelley tale, very much a story about what it means to be human - and about the consequences of hubris and ill-considered actions.  The atmosphere has a strong steampunk influence.

The acting, the direction, and the production design are top-notch.  If there is anything in the area that I would call must-see, this is it.  If you can get there, do not miss it.

I've seen NT Live presentations of King Lear (starring Derek Jacobi), The Cherry Orchard, One Man, Two Guvnors (an adaptation of The Servant of Two Masters), The Comedy of Errors and a couple of others, in addition to both versions of Frankenstein. The quality has been uniformly superb.  The entire series is highly recommended for anyone who likes theater.

1 Comments:

At June 14, 2012 at 10:51 AM , Blogger Tatteredpage said...

That sounds like a wonderful production! I wouldn't have thought of either Miller or Cumberbatch for the lead roles, but it sounds like an interesting and creative choice mostly, I think, because I'm used to seeing them portray considerably different characters. Is this the series that one can catch via satellite at local movie houses?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home